4D/3N Backpacking Mui Ne Without A Tour (Part 1) : Vinaphone @ Reliable 3G Internet Prepaid SIM Pack/Card in Vietnam


         On 24 August 2015 (Monday), my sister and I boarded the plane from Kuala Lumpur for Saigon a.k.a Ho Chi Minh City for our 4D/3N Backpacking Mui Ne Without A Tour (via Public Transportation) and arrived safely at Tan Son Nhat International Airport at 13:00 hours. The complete itinerary can be read here. The journey took approximately 2 hours. It was a bumpy ride due to the turbulence in the air caused by the presence of rain clouds, but the pilot and cabin crew did their best to make us feel at ease. Upon our arrival at the airport, the first thing that I did was to purchase a local 3G internet prepaid SIM card/pack to stay connected throughout our 4D/3N stay in Vietnam.


Vinaphone – Reliable 3G Internet Prepaid SIM Card/Pack in Vietnam

         As we exit the arrival hall, we turned left and headed towards the row of kiosks/counters within the airport building. There are several telecommunication companies in the airport, but we decided to go for Vinaphone that offers unlimited 5GB internet data with a month's validity for only 100,000 VND.

         Setting up my Vinaphone SIM card into my phone and activating it was a breeze with the help of the girl behind the counter. I was able to go online almost instantly. For those who wish to make local or international phone calls in Vietnam, there is another package available just for you at an equally competitive price. I did not take that package because I did not need to make any calls, therefore only internet service will do for me.

         Thankfully, unlike in Surabaya, the chances of getting scammed when buying a 3G internet prepaid SIM pack/card are very unlikely if you purchase it at the airport. However, there is a taxi scam and the airport exit fee in Vietnam that you might want to take note of. I will share and elaborate further on that topic in my next blog post.

Vinaphone kiosk/counter at Tan Son Nhat International Airport, Saigon a.k.a Ho Chi Minh City

My reliable local 3G internet prepaid SIM card/pack in Vietnam - Vinaphone


The Verdict

         From my experience, the reception was very good throughout our time in Vietnam whether we were in bustling Saigon a.k.a Ho Chi Minh City or rural Phan Tiet, Mui Ne. There was not a time where I was not able to go online and stay connected even when we were travelling in the express sleeper bus. I was able to use Google maps and find our way to the various landmarks in Saigon a.k.a Ho Chi Minh City with ease, therefore I highly recommend using Vinaphone when in Vietnam.

         Through my experience, I find that the price of a local SIM card/package if bought at the airport is always cheaper yet the package is more comprehensive as compared to if we buy it anywhere else. Convenience stores such as 7-Eleven sell them more expensive too (proven true in Krabi, Siem Reap and Vietnam). Therefore, be sure to purchase your 3G internet prepaid SIM card/pack at the airport upon arrival to save some money along the way.


Up next: Vinasun taxi ride from Tan Son Nhat International Airport to Phuong Trang a.k.a FUTA Buslines Terminal in District 1, Saigon a.k.a Ho Chi Minh City – Of taxi scam and the airport exit fee you should know!

Labels: , ,